1959, Morning Star II on the Tillamook Bay. The Morning Star II, built in in 1959, was a replica of the original Morning Star of Tillamook, which was built in the late 1854. It was used to transport goods to and from markets outside of Tillamook County. The second Morning Star was built in celebration of Oregon’s Centennial Celebration in Portland, Ore.
In-store tasting opportunities have been around for decades. They are just a lot more fun and entertaining now that we have the Tillamook Tour. This photo shows Margaret Mailer, who often conducted Tillamook Cheese demonstrations in local grocery stores, most especially in California. Here she is seen at the Pantry Market in Pasadena, Calif., in 1958.
We’ve used some very creative advertising through the decades to promote our products. But it all started way back when, in 1917, when we decided we were ready to advertise our cheese nationally and directly to the consumers. The first ads appeared in March 1918. We don’t have the very first ad that was created, but here is one that is equally entertaining. Circa mid-1920s.
A portion of our plant in Tillamook was originally constructed in the late 1940s. It was considered state of the art when it opened in 1949, and was filled with gleaming, new stainless steel cheese vats. Here we have (left to right) Harold Sutton, head cheesemaker; Frank Owens, TCC vice president; George Lawson; TCCA’s secretary-manager; and Merle Jensen; plant superintendent; reminiscing about how cheese used to be made way back when. Harold Sutton operates an old cheese kettle while behind the men is a row of brand new (in 1949) stainless steel cheesemaking vats. Not quite what it looks like today, is it?
Milking a cow is a labor intensive process, then and now. But back then, it required a stool, bucket and hand-power. In this photo from 1912, Hiram Smith is bucket-milking one of his cows. He sits in a stool within reach of the udder and hand-milks the cow into the bucket. The milk would then be poured into a larger milk can and transported to a near-by creamery by way of horse and wagon. Milking took a bit more time back then and herds were often smaller, perhaps only 30 cows or so.