Italians are in a pretty unique situation when it comes to Olympic success. They’ve got the Alps to the north, perfect for winter sports, and the warm Mediterranean weather to the south, great for those summer sports! Not to mention they have miles and miles of pasta in between to keep their athletes full of energy.
I can’t promise this lasagna will turn you in to an Olympic champ, but it sure tastes good. So fire up the crock pot and settle in with a meaty, cheesy, warm and delicious plate of lasagna while you watch Valentina Marchei skate her heart out!
Yield: 8 servings
Cook time: 4 hours
Crock Pot Size: 4.5 qt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
3 ¹⁄₂ cups Tillamook Shredded Italian 2 Cheese Blend, divided
12 oz uncooked lasagna noodles
Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the beef and cook until browned. Once the meat is brown, stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and all of the spices and then remove from heat.
2. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese with 3 cups of the Tillamook Shredded Cheese.
3. Cover the bottom of your crock pot with a layer of meat sauce, and then add a layer of uncooked noodles. You may need to break them so they fit in the crock pot. Top the layer of noodles with a layer of the ricotta cheese mixture. Then repeat the layers until all of the ingredients have been used. Top the final layer with the remaining ½ cup of Tillamook Shredded Italian 2 Cheese.
4. Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 4 hours.
5. Top each slice with fresh basil before serving.