This Father’s Day, impress Dad with cheese-stuffed burgers! While this isn’t a play-by-play recipe, this is what I learned from making a stuffed burger of my own. Best part: I got to do it with the help of a grill master, my Dad!
What you’ll need (for making about 4 burgers):
- Your favorite hamburger meat (about 2 lbs)
- Cheese to stuff in the burger (about 1 cup shredded cheese or 8 slices)
- All other hamburger makings that you fancy
What to do:
1. Divide meat into 8 equal patties
2. Put cheese on top of 4 of the patties.
3. Then top the chees-ified patties with the remaining patties
4. Pinch the sides of the patties together so that they form one big stuffed patty. If you are having trouble pinching the thin patties together, wet the edges and press them together to seal the cheese inside!
5. Cook the stuffed patties like you would any other hamburger. I prefer grilling them… Ahem, excuse me, having my Dad grill them for me! (Thanks, Dad!)
- This will make a big burger – make sure you’re really hungry!
- Use a cheese with a lot of flavor. I used Tillamook Garlic White Cheddar since it’s potent, but any sharp or extra sharp cheddar will also be perfect stuffed in a burger!
- Don’t mix the cheese in with the meat! That will make the meat less dense and more likely to fall apart.
- I prefer to use shredded cheese because I like the way it melts, but slices work too! I recommend using 2 slices of cheese per stuffed burger.
- Place the cheese in the middle of the burger and don’t spread it to the very edge. This will give you plenty of room to pinch the burger and seal the cheese inside. Sometimes a little cheese sneaks out while cooking – and that’s okay!
- If you’re feeling adventurous, you can put more than just cheese on the inside of your burger. Other fillings to use: chilies, mushrooms, peppers, olives, onions, or even a different kind of meat.
- If you like kitchen tools, there are stuffed burger makers that make stuffing a burger really simple!
What are your favorite ingredients to stuff in a burger?