Have you ever wondered about the big painted quilt blocks displayed on local barns and businesses in Tillamook County? They’re part of the Tillamook County Quilt Trail, the first quilt trail on the West coast.
The trail is a partnership between a coalition of local citizens and businesses to identify historic barns and other buildings in Tillamook County, enhance them with large painted wooden quilt blocks, share the history of the dairy farms and quilts through a self-guided tour for visitors, and to celebrate Tillamook’s rural heritage.
The barn pictured here is displaying a pattern block called Lone Star. Here is the description posted in the Tillamook County Quilt Trail map:
Obrist Farm - This farm was originally owned by John Kunzi, a 1912 immigrant from Switzerland, who purchased the farm in 1914, married in 1916 and raised three children, all born in the original farm house, which is now gone. It was the first Grade A dairy in Tillamook County. He milked 50 Jerseys, at that time a large herd. He worked the original 60 acres with a team of horses and also did custom farm work with his team. When Hwy 6 was built, it split the property, making it difficult to farm. The barn was built in 1941 and the house in 1950. The Obrist family purchased the property in 1996.