When summer rolls around I take on a personal cooking challenge…How much can a get out in the backyard and grill? In addition, how many different things can I grill? You’d be amazed by the amount of meals you can create on a grill that aren’t your average burger or hot dog. My latest creation was making a grilled cheese steak recipe, and it was so good I might only make this dish on the grill going forward.
Grilled Cheese Steak Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
1 large onion
1 large green bell pepper
Salt & pepper to taste
1 lb of steak (your favorite cut)
12 slices of Tillamook Provolone Cheese Slices
4 hoagie rolls, cut in half
*Special equipment: A frying pan that can be used on the grill. Traditionally these have holes throughout the pan so you can put them on a grill and the contents can still get cooked by the flames.
1. Cut the onion and the bell pepper in long, thin strips. Toss together in a bowl with enough olive oil to coat, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Fire up the grill! Make sure that you have a really hot area and a lower heat area, you’ll need both for this recipe!
3. Cook the steak on the grill to your heart’s desire. When it’s done cooking, let it sit for 5 minutes and then slice into thin strips that will fit on the hoagie rolls. Divide the steak evenly by 4.
4. At the same time the steak is cooking, start the onion and green pepper mixture on the grill and cook them in the grill-safe frying pan until they start to get softer and have a nice light char from the grill. Right before you think it’s time to take them off, evenly separate the mixture into four piles that are about the size of the hoagie rolls. Layer three slices of Provolone cheese on each of the piles, and complete the grilling. It’s done when the cheese it nice and melty.
5. Build your sandwiches by placing the meat onto the hoagie rolls. Top the sandwiches off by adding the vegetable mixture with melted cheese. Close them up, bite in, and enjoy!