Hot dogs are one of the first things that come to mind when grilling is mentioned. And it’s for a good reason! They are convenient , delicious, and can feed lots of people. However, while it’s common to put cheese on a burger, it’s not as common to put cheese on a hot dog. All I have to say is that you are missing out! Here’s a grilled hot dog recipe that will put you back on track…
Grilled Hot Dog Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 hot dogs
Salt & pepper to taste
4 of your favorite hot dogs
4 hot dog rolls
8 slices of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese Slices
*Special equipment: A frying pan that can be used on the grill. Traditionally these have holes throughout the pan so you can put them on a grill and the contents can still get cooked by the flames.
1. While your grill is warming up, cut the onion in long, thin strips. Toss in a bowl with enough olive oil to coat, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. When the grill is ready, but the hot dogs on and cook them to your heart’s desire.
3. At the same time the hot dog is cooking, start the onion on the grill and cook them in the grill-safe frying pan until they start to get translucent and have a nice light char from the grill.
4. Take the hot dogs and onions off the grill, and quickly transfer the hot dog buns to the grill to warm. Place 2 slices of sharp cheddar in each bun, and keep them on the heat until the cheese is melty (but make sure you don’t burn the bun!).
5. To build your grilled hot dog, place a hot dog in each roll (which should have a nice layer of cheese in it too!), and add mustard, grilled onions, and any other goodies you like on hot dogs. Yum!
This grilled hot dog recipe with cheese will become your new go-to recipe to impress family and friends without any hassle. Your welcome!