Did you know that February is National Cherry Month? That’s right – this is the month of the year where we take a moment to celebrate those little, red, delicious fruits.
Reasons why cherries are great:
• They’re good for your health! Being high in melatonin, they provide a soothing effect on the brain. They also help fight inflammation. Thanks cherries!
• 70% of all cherries produced in the US are grown in the Pacific Northwest.
• Cherries are relatively low in calories, but still contain plenty of beta carotene, Vitamin C and potassium.
• They’re part of the “drupe” family (drupes have a hard seed in the middle and a fleshy outer part). Some other drupes are peaches and plums. Yum!
• Cherry trees are the prettiest of them all. Not all cherry trees provide tasty cherries, but the white and pink leaves will always be sign that spring is finally here!
• Cherries provide a built-in activity: a pit-spitting contest (but be careful where you aim)!
And, good news: Tillamook can help you get your cherry fix at any time of the day! Try a Tillamook Lowfat Cherry Vanilla Yogurt with breakfast, a NEW Tillamook Light Dark Cherry Yogurt for a snack and a hearty scoop of Oregon Black Cherry Ice Cream (with Oregon-grown cherries!) for dessert. If you’re feeling adventurous, try a Cherry Orange Float or make your own cherry-inspired creation! Just be sure to share your idea with the world on Facebook or in the comments below so everyone else can try your cherry treat.
Happy Cherry Month!
~Katie of the Tillamook Team
Photo: Dudley Carr/Flickr (Creative Commons)