Nothing says spring quick like the bright, crisp flavor of lemon. While it’s still pretty cold out here in the Pacific Northwest, the days are starting to get a bit longer, and I’ve even seen a handful of daffodils and tulips beginning to blossom! Spring is in the air, and the best way to celebrate is with this beautiful Lemon Sour Cream Pie from our friends at Pacific Pie Co. It’s a light, creamy, decadent and sunshine-y dessert. One bite is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Check out this recipe for Tillamook Butter Pie Crust also from Pacific Pie Co. that is a perfect base for this pie.
Yield: 1 9 inch pie pan
1 ½ teaspoons powdered gelatin
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon cornstarch
The zest of 1 whole lemon
½ cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup whole milk
3 egg yolks
4 tablespoons (½ stick) Tillamook Unsalted Butter
8 oz Tillamook Sour Cream (we used Natural Sour Cream)
1. Follow the instructions here for rolling one round of dough into the pan, crimp the edges and freeze for 15 minutes. Remove the pie from the freezer and dock the dough by piercing the base several times with a fork to allow for airflow and prevent bubbles from forming.
2. Line the dough with a sheet of parchment paper and fill it with dried beans or rice. Now it’s time to blind bake your crust! Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees until the edges are slightly browned.
3. Remove the parchment with the dried beans or rice, then cook the crust again for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
4. Combine gelatin with enough water for it to hydrate (about 1 tablespoon) and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, milk, and egg yolks in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and starting to boil, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter and gelatin, whisk until gelatin is dissolved and butter is melted. Let cool slightly. Fold in sour cream.
5. Pour mixture into prebaked pie shell and chill in refrigerator for 3 hours until cold and set.
6. Garnish with fresh whipped cream.