Summer is my favorite times of year, not only because of the warm weather and longer days, but also because of all the opportunities to break out all my red, white, and blue outfits! A season that starts with Memorial Day, ends with Labor Day and has the Fourth of July thrown in the middle not only calls for an all-American outfit, complete with a stars and striped hat, it also calls for a very patriotic dessert to bring to your holiday BBQ!
Let this Red, White and Blueberry Greek Yogurt Cake be the star dessert at your party. It’s easy to make, easy to assemble, and sure to impress your family and friends with its patriotism!
Red, White and Blueberry Yogurt Cake
1 ½ cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 container (5.3 oz) Oregon Blueberry Farmstyle Greek Yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
½ cup melted Tillamook Unsalted Butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons mascarpone (optional)
1 container fresh raspberries
1 container fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and butter the inside of two 6 inch cake pans.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk to combine the yogurt, sugar, eggs, and butter.
4. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until completely combined.
5. Pour the batter evenly into your pans, then bake for about 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
6. Transfer the cakes from the pans to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.
7. Once the cakes are cool, add the cream to the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on high speed using the whisk attachment. Once the cream begins to thicken slightly, add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and mascarpone (if using). Continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
8. To assemble the cake, even out each cake layer by slicing the dome off the top with a serrated knife. Place one cake layer on a plate and spread a layer of whipped cream, about 1 inch thick, on top followed by a layer of assorted berries. Carefully place the second cake layer on top, then add another layer of cream and berries.
9. Serve with extra berries on the side!