Dive in and explore what's happening in our community!

Say "No" to Mold!

Did you know that Tillamook Cheese doesn’t contain mold inhibitors?

To keep your Tillamook Cheese tasting great and mold free, always store it in the fridge. To prolong the life of your loaf, follow these tips:

•    Keep your cheese in its original package.
•    Wash your hands before handling.
•    Avoid touching the cheese that you plan on putting back in the fridge.
•    When slicing your loaf, pull the wrapper back and cut off the desired amount of cheese.
•    Tightly fold the original wrapper back over the end.
•    Press foil or plastic wrap over the end of your cheese and place it in an airtight, sealed plastic bag.
•    Place your cheese in the coldest section of the fridge (less than 40 degrees Fahrenheit).

Sometimes even when you follow these tips cheese will still mold. I suggest cutting off about ¼ inch past the mold and enjoy the rest of the loaf of cheese.



Hi, I have left my beautiful Tillamook cheese out on the counter for well over a week now cause I don't like cold cheese. I am so curious as to why there is no mold formed on it. This is the second time I have done this over the last year. Thanks for any info you can provide.

June 2nd, 2013 at 8:26 am


Tillamook Team

Hi Betty,

Thanks for the question! Our loafs of cheddar don’t contain mold inhibitors, and I’m not sure why it hasn’t started to mold. Mold often develops with increased exposure to air and bacteria, so it’s possible that if you’ve kept it wrapped up, it may not have started to mold. Since Tillamook Cheddar is a perishable dairy product, it does require constant refrigeration, and I wouldn’t recommend eating cheese that has been left out. To make sure the cheese is safe to eat, I definitely recommend keeping it in the fridge whenever you aren't using it!

All the best,

Callie, of the Tillamook team

June 6th, 2013 at 4:46 pm


I left a 1/2 eaten 2lb loaf of each of your medium cheddar and pepper jack out on our counter last night. They were also out of their wrappers. The temperature in the house is 65 degrees. I put them back in the zip lock bag and back in the fridge at 7:00 am. Are they still safe to eat?

Thank you for your reply. By the way your cheese is the best ever.


March 21st, 2015 at 8:13 am


Tillamook Team

Hi Jay,
Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. Just like the milk it’s made from, Tillamook Cheese is a perishable dairy product and should always be stored in the fridge (ideally in the coldest part). You can take cheese out of the fridge up to an hour before you plan on using it, but it should be put back in the fridge immediately after you’re done. If you’re in a warm environment, cheese shouldn't be left out for too long – the heat will change the texture and oil may develop on the outside of the cheese. I'm afraid I can't recommend that you eat the cheese, but if you want to take a nibble and see how it tastes, you can always test it out.

All the best,
Amalya of the Tillamook team

March 23rd, 2015 at 1:43 pm


I got a 1 lb package of Colby Jack on Oct 30th and opened it the next day. I am always very careful to follow all your mold prevention tips... and only 2 weeks later there was mold on every surface except the one that had been cut! :( I lost half of what was left when i cut off all the mold plus the 1/4 inch extra :'( 2 weeks seems like an awfully short amount of time for this to happen!

November 15th, 2015 at 10:14 pm


Tillamook Team

Hi Maggie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience with our Colby Jack. It is possible, even if you are extremely careful, that things out of your control might affect mold growth. If you still have the packaging, you can reach out to our consumer relations team with that information so they can record your experience to look for any trends, and replace your cheese.

Amalya of the Tillamook team

November 23rd, 2015 at 10:28 am
Add your comment

Keep Exploring Blog Posts