Nothing can replace, classic grilled cheese and tomato soup but this combo that we developed to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month comes pretty close! Like tomato soup, butternut squash soup is creamy and rich. It’s also the perfect soup to dip a tasty, apple, onion, spinach, and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich into. Consider this a fancied up version of your favorite comfort food.
2 tablespoon Tillamook Unsalted Salted Butter, divided
2 slices multi-grain bread
¹⁄₄ medium size apple, thinly sliced
¹⁄₄ yellow onion, thinly sliced
Handful of fresh spinach
2 Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese Slices
1 cup butternut squash soup, we used Pacific Foods Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium heat. When the butter is bubbling, add the onions. Cook until the onions are completely translucent and are beginning to brown slightly. Remove from heat.
2. Spread the remaining butter on one side of both pieces of bread.
3. Place 1 slice of bread butter side down on a cutting board and then place the cheese on top of the bread. Layer the apple slices, cooked onions, and spinach on to the cheese and then top with the second piece of bread. By keeping the cheese as the first layer against the bread, you’ll be able to melt your cheese more evenly and quickly without letting the bread soak up too much moisture from the other ingredients.
4. Heat a panini press or griddle. Once hot, add your sandwich to the griddle and cook over medium heat until the cheese is melted, about 6 minutes. If you’re cooking in a frying pan, try covering your pan with a pot lid to help trap the heat and melt your cheese to ooey gooey perfection.
5. Serve with a hot bowl of butternut squash soup heated on the stove over medium heat for about 8 minutes, and enjoy!