Photo: Guzzle & Nosh/Flickr
The classic combination of cold, tasty ice cream and hot fudge is pretty decadent. Add a cherry on top and you just seal the deal! So when it’s time to host a summer party you can’t go wrong with an ice cream sundae bar. Your guests get to make it exactly how they like it with their own sundae toppings, and everyone has a good time in the process. That sounds like a win-win to me!
So how do you surprise your guests with something they aren’t expecting? It’s all in the sundae toppings. Sure, you’ll want the classic Tillamook Ice Cream, hot fudge, nuts, whipped cream, and loads of cherries – but what about these other ideas:
- Bacon flakes – These days it’s fashionable to put bacon on everything, but let’s face it, it’s delicious!
- Chocolate-covered espresso beans – It’s the sundae version of an Italian affogato.
- Toasted coconut – There’s something nice about adding in a little crunch with a tropical twist.
- Meringue bites – They’re simple because you can buy them at the store but everyone will think you have the fanciest sundae bar in town.
- Pretzels – Something salty with something sweet. It’s a combination that just plain works.
- Salt and caramel – Like bacon, it’s on every dessert menu these days for a reason. It just makes you want to say “yum!”
- Cinnamon and chili – These two spices are perfect with chocolate and will add a kick no one is expecting.
This is just a list of some of my ideas on how to make a sundae bar like no one has seen before. What are some of the craziest sundae toppings you’ve tried?