A great way to cook with kids is to make snacks. My kids always are looking for snacks.
Kids love cheesy bread. It makes a great snack or could be a garlicky side for pasta meal. It’s also an easy way to get the kids helping out with cooking dinner.
We make a very simple cheesy bread with just bread, butter, and cheese.
1. Cut a full loaf of Italian bread length-wise.
2. Melt one stick of Tillamook Unsalted Butter in a pot and brush on the open bread faces.
3. Sprinkle any spices you may want on the buttered bread—garlic, coarse black pepper, oregano, or even a dash of cayenne.
4. Let the kids spread their favorite Tillamook Cheese onto the buttered bread. We used four different kinds as a sampler and let each kid choose their favorite—Mozzarella, Shredded Italian Blend, Medium Cheddar, and Shredded Mexican Blend. The shredded cheese makes it easy for little hands to help out and saves me prep time.
5. Put the bread under the broiler for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted and started to brown.
6. Slice and serve.
A delicious snack could not be easier. The kids have a great time choosing their favorite Tillamook Cheese and spreading it around. The hardest part is stopping the kids from eating all the cheese before it’s on the bread!
Post by guest blogger Jason Lucey