Put your leftover Thanksgiving Turkey to work in this Turkey Monte Cristo Panini from our blogger friend, Panini Happy. With it being dipped in egg, French toast-style, it’s definitely a little more decadent than your everyday sandwich. But we’re in a celebratory mood, right?
For this Thanksgiving twist, I’ve swapped in turkey in place of the traditional ham and mixed in some cranberry sauce along with the mustard for a tart and tangy kick. And since Monte Cristos are often served with jam, I added a little extra cranberry sauce on the side as well. I didn’t include any prosciutto in my sandwich, but if you wanted to tuck a little in there I think that would be incredible too.
Yield: 4 panini sandwiches
3 tablespoons cranberry sauce, plus more for dipping
2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
8 slices country bread, a denser variety is best
8 slices Tillamook Swiss Cheese
¾ lb sliced carved turkey
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the panini grill to medium high heat.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the cranberry sauce and Dijon mustard.
3. For each sandwich: Spread cranberry mustard on one slice of bread. Add a slice of Swiss cheese, a thin layer of turkey and a second sliced of cheese. Top with a second slice of bread to close the sandwich.
4. In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, turning to coat well.
5. Carefully place the sandwich onto the panini grill. Close the lid and grill for 4-5 minutes until the bread is lightly browned and the cheese is melted.
6. Dust the tops of the panini with confectioner’s sugar and, if desired, serve with additional cranberry sauce for dipping.
About Panini Happy:
Kathy Strahs began her food blog, Panini Happy, in 2007 after receiving a Panini press for Christmas. Her recipes include everything from traditional paninis to decadent desserts you’d never imagine you could make on a Panini press. In October, The Ultimate Panini Press Cookbook was published with over 200 mouthwatering recipes!