This year, Thanksgiving and Hanukkah overlap! Who could complain about two holidays that boast delicious recipes hitting the table the same week!? Instead of traditional shredded potato fried latkes , this year I’m putting my Thanksgiving leftover mashed potatoes to use! These hearty potato waffles are a healthier spin on the classic, and delicious to eat for any meal of the day!
Yield: About 4 waffles (depending on size)
2 tablespoons Tillamook Salted Butter
½ onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic
2 cups mashed potatoes
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Shreds
2 eggs, beaten
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1. Preheat waffle iron (if your waffle iron has temperature controls, I suggest medium to high heat).
2. Melt butter in a sauce pan or skillet over medium heat.
3. Cook onion and garlic in melted butter until onions are soft.
4. Mix together, by hand, onion-garlic mixture with mashed potatoes, flour, shredded cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper.
5. Scoop about ½ cup (depending on size of your iron) of the mixture into your waffle iron.
6. Cook in waffle iron until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes.
7. Serve with Tillamook Sour Cream, ketchup or apple sauce if you like!