A (cook) Book For Every (kitchen) Nook: Celebrate National Cookbook Month
Apparently it’s National Cookbook Month? Who knew! It’s the perfect excuse for me to spend some time in the largest independent bookstore in the world, Powell’s books. They have everything, including the perfect ambiance to curl up with my smart phone and their cheese cookbook section to explore some cooking resources…
Some of my favorite new online finds:
- I couldn’t help but fall in love with this illustrated cooking blog by kids, Kids Draw and Cook. A recipe I can’t wait to try: Zucchini Bread by Emily. What a fun thing to do with little ones!
- For the best cheese mobile apps, Slashfood.com has a good list.
- For a run down on the best cooking apps, I like AppAdvice.com’s list.
Now, I know everything is going digital these days, but I still can’t get over the nostalgia of cracking open that cookbook that has my mother’s and my grandmother’s recipe smudges. Here are some cheesy classics I look forward to passing along to my own children:
- Cooking with Cheese: 70 Best-ever Recipes by Roz Denny, is touted as the ultimate cheese cookbook. A recipe I can’t wait to try: Classic Fondue (page 63).
- Grilled Cheese Please! by Laura Werlin, one of our favorite authors and cheese experts. A recipe I can’t wait to try: Double Cheddar and Tomato Jam Grilled Cheese (page 9). Here’s a review of her book from TastingTable.
- The Guide to West Coast Cheese by Sarah Davies. While this is more of a resource book than a cookbook, it appreciates cheese in plain form. A cheese I can’t wait to try: El Dorado Gold out of Somerset, CA (a goat cheese that goes perfectly with an IPA!). Here’s an interview with the author by one of my favorite food blogs, The Kitchn.
- As part of the Tillamook Team (and a Tillamook Cheese lover), the kids will definitely get my well-worn copy of The Tillamook Cheese Cookbook: Celebrating 100 Years of Excellence by Kathy Holstad. My favorite recipe: The Ultimate Comfort Food Macaroni and Cheese (page 129). FYI, here are our top 10 all-time favorite Mac’n’Cheese recipes.
For a comprehensive resource on a variety of cheese books, you can also visit the book review on Fork & Bottle.