Tillamook Grilled Cheese Recipepalooza – Oregon Albacore Tuna Melt from Bunk Bar
Tillamook Kitchen’s Tommy Habetz and Nick Wood fused their love of food and sandwiches together to open Bunk Sandwiches and Bunk Bar in Portland, Oregon. While Tommy’s love is Italian cooking and Nick has a knack for Southern cuisine, when you’re at Bunk none of the labels matter because everything coming out of their kitchen is tasty.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
- Yield (number of servings): 4
Perfect for a rainy Portland day, this classic sandwich gets a Northwest makeover. Oregon Albacore tuna meets mustard, pickles, balsamic vinegar and a melty layer of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar.
- 2 - 6 oz cans albacore tuna
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split
- Dijon mustard and mayonnaise, for spreading
- 8 - ¼-inch-thick slices of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar or Tillamook Swiss Cheese
- 24 slices garlic dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) Tillamook Unsalted Butter, softened
In a medium bowl, mix the tuna with the onion, olive oil, vinegar, basil, and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a panini press or griddle. Spread the cut sides of the rolls with mustard and mayonnaise and top each roll half with a slice of cheese. Spread the tuna salad on the bottoms and cover with the pickles. Close the sandwiches and spread the outsides of the rolls with butter.
Place the sandwiches on the press or griddle and cook over moderate heat until the cheese is melted, about 6 minutes. To make sure the sandwiches are fully cooked, open them up and place in a 450°F oven for about 1 minute. Remove from oven, close sandwiches, cut in half, and serve.