Waffle Iron Cheddar Latkes
This year, Thanksgiving and Hanukkah overlap! Who could complain about two holidays that boast delicious recipes hitting the table the same week!? Instead of traditional shredded potato fried latkes , this year I’m putting my Thanksgiving leftover mashed potatoes to use! These hearty potato waffles are a healthier spin on the classic, and delicious to eat for any meal of the day!
Yield: About 4 waffles (depending on size)
2 tablespoons Tillamook Salted Butter
½ onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic
2 cups mashed potatoes
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Shreds
2 eggs, beaten
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1. Preheat waffle iron (if your waffle iron has temperature controls, I suggest medium to high heat).
2. Melt butter in a sauce pan or skillet over medium heat.
3. Cook onion and garlic in melted butter until onions are soft.
4. Mix together, by hand, onion-garlic mixture with mashed potatoes, flour, shredded cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper.
5. Scoop about ½ cup (depending on size of your iron) of the mixture into your waffle iron.
6. Cook in waffle iron until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes.
7. Serve with Tillamook Sour Cream, ketchup or apple sauce if you like!