Ring in the new year with these sweet treats! Don’t be intimidated by the list of supplies and preparation steps, these bonbon cups are pretty easy to make as long as you’ve got enough time to let them freeze between steps. Your friends and family will be delighted when they bite through the layer of chocolate to find a rich and creamy center of Tillamook Ice Cream! I made these with Oregon Strawberry, but you can make the recipe with any flavor you like!
Yield: 24 (depending on the size of your muffin tin)
Prep Time: 4 hours
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Oregon Strawberry Ice Cream (or another flavor of your choice)
Microwave safe bowl
Small muffin tin
Small muffin paper liners
Pastry paintbrush, chopstick, or end of a spoon
Freezer space for your muffin tin to lay flat
1. Line your muffin tray with papers and set aside.
2. Microwave 1 cup of chocolate chips for two minutes, pausing every 30 seconds to stir so the chocolate doesn’t burn.
3. Remove bowl and stir with a spoon until chocolate is completely smooth.
4. One cup at a time, drip about a teaspoon of the molten chocolate into the paper cup and paint ¾ of the way up the sides of the cup using your paintbrush (chopstick or the end of a spoon). You don’t want to fill the cup with chocolate – instead, you want to paint the chocolate so you’ll have a cup shaped shell.
5. Once all cups are painted with chocolate, set your tray in the freezer for 1 hour or up to overnight.
6. Remove tray from freezer and using your melon baller, add a small scoop of ice cream to each of the cups, pushing down as necessary to keep the ice cream at or below the chocolate covered portion of the paper cup.
7. Set in freezer for at least 1 hour.
8. Melt the second cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for two minutes, pausing every 30 seconds to stir with a spoon until fully melted.
9. Remove your muffin tray from the freezer and working quickly, fill each of the cups to the top with the melted chocolate.
10. While the chocolate is still melted, add sprinkles if you’d like, then immediately place back into the freezer.
11. Let freeze for at least 1 hour.
12. Serve immediately after removing from the freezer.