Bacon Cauliflower au Gratin
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bring a small skillet to medium high heat. Add bacon and saute until crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove bacon from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to let the grease drain. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add cauliflower florets to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes, until tender.
- Pour cooked cauliflower into a colander and drain liquid. Be sure all liquid is gone, so you don't end up with a watery casserole.
- Pour drained cauliflower into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- In the meantime, heat a medium saucepan to medium high heat.
- Add butter to saucepan and melt. Then add flour to pan. Whisk the flour and butter together, continue to do so for at least 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in milk, whisking the entire time. Bring milk and flour mixture to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Let the milk mixture simmer for about 6-8 minutes to thicken. Whisking occasionally.
- Remove saucepan from the heat. Add in 1 ¼ cups shredded cheese, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Pour cheese sauce over the cauliflower.
- Using a spoon, gently mix the cheese sauce and cauliflower together.
- Sprinkle the top of the cauliflower mixture with bacon, additional fresh thyme, and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 20 minutes until slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve it up. Sprinkle the remaining cheese as a yummy topper.