Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, add butternut squash, onion, garlic, stock, milk and 3 tablespoons of butter. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 20 minutes until squash is tender.
- Once cooked, blend the butternut squash along with all liquids and contents of pan in a blender until smooth and return to pan over medium heat.
- Add cheese (reserving ½ cup), salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the butternut squash mixture stirring frequently until cheese has melted and mixture is smooth. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and stir until pasta is fully incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small skillet melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Once melted, add sage and panko string until panko is completely coated in melted butter.
- If using an oven proof dish finish off butternut squash mac and cheese by sprinkling with sage, panko, and reserved cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until panko turns a golden brown color. Serve immediately and enjoy!