Cheddar Apple Pie
Start with the Crust
- Mix together the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it forms large crumbs.
- Gently fold in the cheese.
- Mix in the egg and the ice water and mix until just combined. The mixture should look crumbly, but stick together if pressed.
- Divide the mixture into two discs. Wrap each disc tightly, then place in the refrigerator.
- Chill for an hour as you prep your filling.
Apple Pie Filling
- Peel, core, and thinly slice your apples.
- Toss them with the lemon and orange juice as well as the vanilla.
- Lightly coat the apple slices with the sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
Assemble the Pie
- Take out one of the pie crusts and roll out until 1/4-inch thick.
- Place the dough onto a 9-inch pie pan and trim the edges as needed. Tip: Leave some excess and fold it under the crust to give it more stability on the sides.
- Neatly place the apple sliced in the crust.* Place in the freezer.
- Take out the second disc and roll out to 1/4-inch thick. Cut the top crust as desired for your design.
- Remove the pie from the freezer and add your top pie crust, then place back in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the oven is preheated, remove the pie and brush the top crust with the egg wash. Lightly sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then top with foil. Bake for an additional 25 - 35 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the pie crust is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before slicing and serving.
- * Do not just dump the apples in! By placing them neatly in the pan, you prevent the pie from forming large gaps between the filling and top crust as the apples cook and shrink.