Fajita Foil Packs
- Make the spice blend: In a small bowl, combine the chile powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. You’ve just made fajita seasoning! (If you prefer, you can substitute 1 tablespoon of a ready-made taco or fajita spice blend here.) Place five sheets of aluminum foil on the counter top and line each one with parchment paper.
- Prepare the vegetables: Ask an adult to help you slice the peppers and onion into long, thin strips.
- Prepare the chicken (it can be pre-cooked or raw.) Ask an adult to help you slice the chicken into long strips, about ½-inch wide. (If you’re using pre-cooked chicken, you can pull the chicken apart into bite sized pieces.) In a large bowl, toss the vegetables and chicken with the olive oil and seasoning mix. Use a large spoon (or clean hands!) to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Divide the chicken and vegetables among four pieces of the parchment-lined foil and top with Tillamook Sharp Cheddar cheese shreds, adding the ingredients to the middle of the parchment. Fold up the sides together and fold it down twice, then fold up the edges to completely seal it. (You want to be sure that nothing leaks out while it is cooking!) Place all 8 tortillas on the fifth piece of parchment-lined foil and fold that up, too. Place the foil packs on a cookie sheet if you are baking them in the oven.
- Ask an adult to cook the foil packets on a bed of coals (or in a preheated 350°F oven on a baking sheet) for 20 to 25 minutes. Add the tortillas to the oven or campfire in the last five minutes of cooking. Ask an adult to remove the packs and open them carefully—the inside of the pack will be filled with steam. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked through (if using raw chicken.) If it is not, return the packets to the fire/oven and continue cooking.
- Serve the chicken fajitas with the warm tortillas and Tillamook sour cream, salsa, and guacamole, if using. Enjoy!