Love & Olive Oil
French Onion Mac And Cheese
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, generously season with salt and pepper, and slowly cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to turn golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes. Add beef broth and thyme and continue to cook for another 10 minutes until onions are deep golden brown and very soft, and most of liquid has reduced. Remove from heat and set aside (onions can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to use).
- Preheat oven to the broil setting. Lightly butter two 8 to 10 ounce cocottes or ramekins (be sure they are oven safe), or a 1-quart casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta 1 to 2 minutes less than the package instructions; it should be just barely al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, open Sauce Starter package and set aside ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
- Pour milk in a large saucepan. Set over medium heat. Add remaining shredded cheese along with seasoning packet. Heat, whisking occasionally, until cheese is fully melted and smooth.
- Add onions and pasta and stir until evenly coated, then divide among cocottes. Place on a baking sheet to catch any overflow. Sprinkle with reserved shredded cheese and torn bread. Broil for 2 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and bread is toasted and golden (watch it carefully, the bread can burn easily if you let it go too long). Remove from oven, let cool for about 5 minutes prior to serving hot.
More For You