Sonoran Style Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Hot Dogs
- Heat a small flat cast iron griddle (or pan) over high heat. Place peppers on hot griddle and turn until each side just begins to blacken, about 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside on a plate. Wipe off griddle. Note: you can also prepare these in the oven. Put peppers on a sheet pan, under the broiler, and turn after each side has a few blistered spots.
- While peppers cook, prepare the hot dogs. Using a small paring knife, make a slit down the center of each hot dog. Take three, ¼ inch sections of cheese slices and tuck them inside the opening. The first set of three won’t quite fill it all the way, so, take a second set of three and trim to fit and tuck inside the opening. Wrap each hot dog with a slice of bacon, securing the ends with a wooden toothpick. Place hot dogs on the hot griddle and cook, turning occasionally, until bacon is crisp on all sides, about 10-12 minutes. Wipe pan. Carefully remove toothpicks.
- (Optional) Heat rolls -cut side down- on flat griddle until lightly toasted (about 20-30 seconds.
- Fill rolls with beans and bacon-wrapped cheesy dog, and then top with tomatoes, onions, mustard, and crema. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with roasted pepper and tortilla chips.