Summer Squash Grilled Cheese Toasties with Fresh Tomato Dipping Sauce
Fresh Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic, then sauté for 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add brown sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes more. The brown sugar helps caramelize the onions faster.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add remaining ingredients, stir and simmer uncovered or 20 minutes until tomatoes have broken down and sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Summer Squash Grilled Cheese Toasties
- Use a pastry brush to spread melted butter on each slice of sourdough bread. Place 4 slices, buttered side down, on a clean work surface or directly onto a grill basket.
- Top with a layer of sliced squash and zucchini, then season with smoked sea salt and pepper.
- Add one slice of cheddar, followed by another layer of squash and zucchini, and the final slice of cheddar.
- Layer with fresh basil leaves if desired. Place remaining bread slices on top, butter side up.
- Grill for 1-2 minutes per side over a medium heat source until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from grill and serve with warm dipping sauce. You could serve a whole sandwich as a meal or 1/2 sandwich to each person as a side with your grilled feast.