Frequently Asked Questions

Return to Cheese

Why is my cheese moldy? Should I throw it out?

Exposure to air causes cheese to mold. If you see mold on your loaf of cheese, don’t worry. Most molds are harmless - all you have to do is cut it off. Cut away at least a half inch of cheese on all sides of the visible mold. We recommend keeping your knife out of the mold spots as you are cutting. The remaining mold-free part of your cheese should be fine to eat, but it’s best to use it up as quickly as possible. We do not recommend eating your sliced or shredded cheese if any of it is moldy. It’s best to use your sliced and shredded cheeses within 3-5 days of opening to prevent mold contamination.

Didn’t get the answer you were looking for?

Contact Us